Many immigrants come to Edmonton every year, often bringing their families, culture and traditions with them. This provides Edmonton with a valuable source of labour, knowledge and experience but also presents challenges as immigrants need assistance and education regarding the culture of the Edmonton region and its workforce.
Workforce challenges: what are they?
- Language barriers
- Lack of Canadian work experience
- Lack of recognition of foreign credentials
- Disconnect between the skills immigrants bring and hope to use; and the occupations that employers hope they can fill once they arrive
- Lack of recognition of previous experience
- Lack of connections in the job market
- Lack of skills bridging opportunities
- Lack of full understanding of Canadian workplace culture
- Negative public attitudes and negative practices of some employers
- Length of time it takes to bring foreign workers here.