Career Development with Lynda.com
By Amith Jagota
Driving project, leadership & operations success
“Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune.” Jim Rohn
What Is Lynda.com
LinkedIn’s learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal & professional goals.
It’s Plethora of Courses
Lynda.com hosts a constantly growing library of 4000+ high-quality, current & engaging video courses taught by recognized industry experts. Categorized as:
- 3D + Animation
- Audio + Music
- Education + Elearning
Courses of Special Interest to New Immigrants (also helpful for absolutely anyone!)
https://www.lynda.com/learning-paths lists all learning paths. You will find the below two especially insightful:
“Become a Successful Job Hunter”
- Creating a career plan
- Writing a resume
- Job Search strategies
- Learning LinkedIn
- Mastering Common Interview Questions
- Giving your Elevator Pitch
- Negotiating Your Job Offer
- Developing Business Acumen
- Succeeding in a New Job
“Get Ahead in The Job Market After a Layoff”
- Recovering from a layoff
- Taking charge of your career
- Creating your personal brand
- Resume makeover
- Informational interviewing
How to Access Lynda.com
Currently, the monthly subscription fees for Canadian residents is around $30-$35.
However, you can leverage corporate, academic & government subscriptions.
For Example – with compliments of an Edmonton Public Library (EPL) membership card, you can access it for free!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Get yourself an EPL library card (if you do not have one already)
- Head over to – https://www.lynda.com/portal/sip?org=epl.ca (you will get the below screen)
- Put in your EPL card & pin number
- Click Log In
- Voila, you are in!
How I Have Used It
I have predominantly taken project management & leadership oriented courses.
Some Interesting Facts
- You get digital certificates of completion after finishing courses.
- https://learning.linkedin.com/certification-and-continuing-education-programs – lists courses to help you prepare for professional certification exams and earn continuing education units (CEUs).
“I am still learning.” — Michelangelo at age 87