ERIEC is dedicated to ensuring immigrants are welcomed and participate in the economy to their full potential. Foreign-trained, experienced professionals now making the Edmonton region their home want to contribute their skills to our economy – but many lack the local knowledge needed for a successful job search. ERIEC provides a unique and effective bridge between employers’ labour needs and globally trained new residents so they can work to their full potential.
SmartConnections is a model which helps Internationally Educated Professionals (IEPs) in creating sustainable career paths, whether within or outside their field of expertise. ERIEC usually offers these sessions once or twice a year. This 3 hour event:
- Increases IEPs knowledge of specialized sector-specific Canadian workplace opportunities;
- Connects them directly to employer representatives from the local labour market who present the skills required to succeed in the sector;
- Enables low ratio discussion and self assessment of core competencies needed for success in the sector;
- Provides vital skills about how to repackage themselves to find and apply for a successful alternate/temporary career path while pursuing re-certification.
SmartConnections assists IEPs to find employment at a level commensurate with their skills and experience while providing social benefits through increased economic stability for their families.
Employers benefit from connecting with some of the international talent currently available in Edmonton and the global perspectives these professionals can bring to our market place.
This is a fantastic learning and networking event hosted by ERIEC at no charge and is open to all professions!
If you have any questions, please contact Elena at [email protected] or 780-707-8493.
Next Smart Connections event – planned for June 2019
For the previous Smart Connection events, please click the links below:
- Smart Connections – Diversity & Inclusion, Hiring Process -GOA & City of Edmonton – Sep 20, 2018
- Smart Connections – The Future of Work – June 14, 2018
- Smart Connections – We must “Start with Why”! – October 4, 2017
- Smart Connections – Leveraging You Presentation Skills – June 15, 2017
- Smart Connections – Entrepreneurship in Canada – September 30, 2016
- Smart Connections – Branding Yourself – June 23, 2016
- Smart Connections – Alternate Career Paths – October 8, 2015
- Smart Connections – Leveraging Your Assets and Skills – June 25, 2015