Are you looking for interesting professional development? Do you enjoy learning about other cultures? Would you like to enhance your skill in working with multicultural teams? Then being a volunteer mentor might be for you!
- Are established in their professions
- Have established professional networks and/or links to professional associations
- Have some knowledge of the current labour market in their field
- Are sensitive to employment issues for skilled immigrants
- Are available for up to 6 hours/month for 4 months – on average about 1.5 hours/week
Mentors and mentees are matched based on their educational and professional background as well as professional goals. ERIEC offers an orientation for mentees and mentors, including a handbook which details a “roadmap” for the mentoring relationship. ERIEC staff provide assistance and support in the development and maintenance of these relationships.
A mentor from Telus described her experience of the program this way:
Mentoring…helped me to better understand my own multicultural staff team and to appreciate the simple things that we take for granted. My modest investment of time has returned professional rewards for my mentee, myself and my company.
For more mentor stories, please check out http://eriec.ca/mentor-stories/!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with ERIEC. To find out more information about volunteer opportunities, please contact:
Phone: (780) 497–8866
Fax: (780) 497–8806
E-mail: [email protected]